Custom Search
Back to the '80's: Top 10 Actors Turned Singers of the 80's
BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, July 2, 2009

Top 10 Actors Turned Singers of the 80's


All actors want to be singers and all singers want to be actors. At least that's what they say and, it seems, quite a few of them give it a try. Some with excellent results and others disastrous.

Following are my Top 10 Actors Turned Singers of the 80's. My guidelines in making this list was, first they had to have notoriety as an actor before notoriety as a singer. Second, their notoriety for both had to come in the decade of the 80's. With that said, let's get to the list.

#10
Bruce Willis

Although I wasn't a huge fan of the song, Bruce Willis didn't do too bad of a job, with the help of a Pointer Sister, in turning this cover into a top 5 hit in 1987.

#9
Gloria Loring



Although, Gloria Loring was singing before making it as an actor, it was her acting that first gained her large notoriety. Gloria played Liz Chandler on the soap opera Days of Our Lives.

In 1986 she paired with Carl Anderson for the #2 hit Friends and Lovers.

A bit of trivia about Loring. She co-wrote, composed (with ex-husband Alan Thicke) and sang the Diff'rent Strokes and Facts of Life theme songs. Also, the R&B singer Robin Thicke is her son with Alan Thicke.

#8
Don Johnson



Don Johnson capitalized on his Miami Vice fame by putting out this #5 hit single in 1986.

#7
Patrick Swayze



Patrick Swayze rode his Dirty Dancing fame all the way to #3 with this 1987 hit from the movie.

#6
Michael Damien



Damian used his acting gig on Young and the Restless, playing Danny Romalotti, as a launching pad for his singing career which included this #1 1989 hit Rock On from the Dream a Little Dream soundtrack.

#5
Eddie Murphy



It must be Eddie Murphy week or something. He was our actor of the week yesterday and here he is showing up on our Actors Turned Singers list at #5.

With a little help from Rick James, who wrote and produced this song, Murphy hit #2 on the charts in 1985 with this song.

#4
Jack Wagner



What's with these soap stars becoming singers? Jack Wagner, who played Frisco Jones on General Hospital, hit #2 with this early 1985 song.

#3
Kylie Minogue



Already a pretty big star in Australia for playing on the soap opera Neighbours, Kylie tried her hand at singing in the U.S. and hit it big with this song and Locomotion back in 1987. She has had even further and greater success in the 2000's with hits such as Can't Get You Outta My Head.

#2
Janet Jackson



For those who forgot, Janet played little Penny on Good Times and also had a role on Diff'rent Strokes. Her hits are way too many to list and besides everybody already knows how huge a star she is.

#1
Rick Springfield



Springfield played Dr. Noah Drake on the soap opera (yeah I know, another soap star) General Hospital. He hit it huge in 1981 with Jessie's Girl and never looked back.

Like Janet Jackson, he has too many hits too list. I know a lot of you may say Janet deserves to be #1, but my personal preference is Rick Springfield. He has a ton of hits in the 80's just go take a look at his discography and pick up his greatest hits and you won't regret it.

So ends another top 10 list. I hope you enjoyed. Agreed or disagreed? Leave it in the comments below.

I'll be typin' at ya later,
Bob the Blogger

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cant disagree with Rick!!

Anonymous said...

Rick Springield ,I saw you at Rockton Fest (rockton/Roscoe Il last yr ) It was great see you i ve had crush on you when i was 18 during 1980s. I walk up to you(said i luv u) when ran down steps to the your fans & we really enjoyed that. Thankyou for let me relive my Youth. I liked the new song Irreplaceable, make more songs like that , i love ballads. My fav songs by you -1.Jesse Girl 2.I ve done everything for you .3.affair of heart 4.Human touch 5.state of heart.6.don't talk to strangers.7.Love Somebody.If you are out there, could you possibly reply to this post. (by the way some people get you mix up with Bruce Springsteen lol)By the way , i like Maroon5 and some modern singers as well But my fav music will always be 80s.God bless ,America Amen. Sign Dara

Anonymous said...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMHI0KW39ho ( look)
I love all rick springfield songs I ve been a fan since 1970s.
I saw him at a concert at Rochelle /Rockton concert.
He was so good that i saw people of all ages there.
He ran down this lane fenced off for him.
Fans were all along this fence want to touch him.
I couldn't believe when i actually touch his arm.
I was shy He look me in the Eyes I said I luv you.
and He said I luv you too ,(he loves his fans).
He went up on stage said his wife from there (beloit wisc nearby).
all the women couldn't make out what he was try to tell us ?
but remenber that RIck Springfield has Sex addiction/Depression?
So can 1 woman satify this tall handsome man-when out concerting?
If Rick out there - can hi to me as i am the woman saw ?
Long blond Hair with glasses Medium build?